Victims of Crime

The attorneys at HaleyNelson & Heilbrun, LLP, have extensive experience in applications for victims of crime, trafficking, and domestic violence.

Individuals who are the victims of certain crimes can apply for a nonimmigrant visa called a U visa. This visa gives the individual temporary legal status and makes him or her eligible to work while in the United States, for up to four years. After three years the visa holder can apply for permanent residence. A U visa applicant can also apply for visas for certain qualifying relatives, such as spouses and children. In order to qualify, an applicant must have suffered substantial harm as a result of a qualifying crime, and been helpful in the investigation or prosecution of the crime. A critical part of the U visa application is obtaining certification from either the police or a prosecutor that the applicant assisted law enforcement.

Victims of domestic violence who are married to a permanent resident or a U.S. citizen may apply for residency under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). The applicant must show that they were married in good faith, jointly resided with the abuser, and suffered abuse or extreme cruelty during the relationship. As VAWA applications are ones for residency, many of the same requirements apply as with family-based residency applications. VAWA applicants, however, may qualify for certain exceptions to admission and admissibility requirements. Our office has experience in all types of VAWA applications, including those made by men and LGBT individuals.  

Our office can assess, based on your individual circumstances, what option is best for you and guide you through the application process. Because every case is different, please contact us for a consultation so that we may discuss the specifics of your case.

436 14th Street, Suite 716, Oakland, CA 94612 | (510) 868.0633 | (415) 484.4005 |
Providing quality legal representation and exceptional client services to immigrants and their families.